If I were a rich man

While laying awake last night my thoughts traveled to all my female friends who now have children.
They have one thing in common: they have all married a rich man. The ones who have married a poor man are no longer together or together with their child and unhappy. Feminism states that women are equal to men and women can and should have their own money. But many women I know don't, their number one goal, therefore, was to find a rich man if they wanted a child. It is an attractive thing: money. It makes life easier. I married for love. I often wonder what it would have been like to have a child and raise it. I would have wanted to give it everything I had- private school, violin and riding lessons, a pony, a horse, roller skates, ice skates. I did not want to be scraping together a few dollars to buy second-hand clothes for my child. Shopping second- hand for my self is cool, but there is no way I would want to take my child shopping at a thrift store. So there it is. I am much happier being an Aunty and being able to afford to by my nephew nice clothes and have him for holidays. My husband and I take him places and we have a wonderful time. We want for nothing. My wish for him is to be successful in whatever he chooses to do for a career and that he is successful in love. I hope women see what a great person he is and if he doesn't have money, that he will still be a worthy husband. I understand this is direct opposition to what I said earlier - but I can't help how I feel. I want him to have it all. Even though I don't.
And as for my husband and I - we are happy with our decision. There have been so many times during our 14 years together when we have looked at each other and said, " Aren't you glad we don't have a kid right now? "
I am thankful the feminist movement exists. I do not have to be burdened by society's archaic expectations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chips

The Bounty

A life less encumbered